ARCHAEOLOGY DISPLAY.

The Archaeology display is located in one of the alcoves of the Big Barn.

From 1937 until 1991 Pitstone was dominated by the Cement Works.

The opening up of the quarries associated with the works created a wonderful

opportunity for exploration of the archaeology of an area close to the Ridgeway,

which is one of the oldest roads in England. The area was known to have been

inhabited for thousands of years.

The archaeological collection consists of items recovered by the Pitstone Local

History Society during the 1960's and 1970's. Traces were found of occupation

from the earliest times, through the Bronze age and into the Roman period. The

society has many examples of fossil remains of plants and animals, including a

mammoth tooth. From Roman times there are finds from two sites in the quarries

and from c1800 to modern times there is a collection of bottles.

All exhibits were found within five miles of this museum.

Return to Home Page