WAGS WHARF & THE OLD CURIOSITY SHOP.

Over the years we have found many unusual items in the museum stores, some we

know about and the others we are not sure what they were used for. We have

created within the restored WWII Nissen Hut, alongside the dairy, several

tables displaying many of these artefacts for visitors to guess what they are,

or in some cases to let us know what they were used for, if anyone knows.


Lists of what we think the items were used for are provided

for visitors to browse through


WAGS WHARF.

The building also contains Wags Wharf, a very detailed and working model layout.

A Model in SM32, Track Gauge ~ 32mm, Scaled at 16mm to the foot

Wags Wharf represents a small canal spur wharf probably built in the late 1800's

on the now derelict Wendover arm of the Grand Junction canal.


The wharf was built to service the steam powered pumping station that was needed

to supply the canal with water at it's highest point as it rose over the Chiltern

hills before falling down to Wags Bottom and on across the Aylesbury plain.

Coal for the pumping engine was delivered by narrow boats and carried from the wharf

to the engine house by horse and manpower until post WW1 when the shortage of manpower

and the availability of war surplus narrow gauge railway parts made the addition

of a small railway practical.

The scene modelled is just prior to WW2 when many of the canals were still active

and a variety of second hand diesel and small industrial steam locomotives were being

used to move coal and ash about the site. The 'enginemen's' time seems to be split

between operating the railway and maintaining the locomotives in the old stables.

Return to Home Page