MILL BARN.

The Big Barn was extended at the Mill Barn end when the present farm was built in 1831.

Originally this end had no 'first floor' and was used just for increasing the storage

area for the sheaves of corn. In 1902 the Windmill some short distance from the farm

was damaged in a gale and a stone mill, driven by a portable steam engine was installed

at the farm. The engine was outside the barn, driving the mill, through the end wall,

via flat leather belting. A second mill was later installed to increase the capacity

and a first floor added such that the grain could be fed direct into the millstones from above

The grain was milled for animal feed. One of the large mills has had its cover (tun)

removed for visitors to see the stones. The grain entered in the centre hole and as the

upper (runner) stone rotated, the grain worked towards the outside where it passed down

a chute, to be collected as meal (flour).

The stones had channels cut in them to assist the process. The lower (bed) stone

remained stationary. A more detailed description of the milling process can be found

in our publication 'Ford End Watermill, A Short History & Guide' on sale in the shop.

Return to Home Page